Thursday, October 8, 2015

The mom version of your hair

Ladies you need to do SOMETHING! Now I am not saying to get a full blow out and curls. What I mean is take a second to do something other than a ponytail or that horrible "I'm too lazy to pull my hair through the hair tie" bun thing... That being said, this also means don't wash your hair everyday (well depending on how many times you CAN get a shower...) Super clean hair is slippery and difficult to work with but not only that, your hair needs those oils as nourishment because pregnancy/postpartum/nursing strips your hair of most of the nutrients. So here are a few ways that will save you some time and help you avoid the "wash and go" look.

Day 1- Curl your ends
 Long or short, thick or thin, this takes a quick 5 to 10 mins and makes a huge difference. With freshly washed hair from the night before I will use a 1.5 inch curling iron and split my hair into six to eight sections and curl away from my face. You can also throw you hair in a loose pony tail and just curl the pony tail. Spray with a little hair spray and even if the curl falls out you will at least have a bit of a smoother rounded end that looks a little more polished. I just keep a butterfly clip handy for feedings.

Day 2- Braid/twist the front.
 This is a very convenient skill to know! You can wear your leftover curls (if you have any) and the braid will hide any oil spills. If you don't know how to do a dutch braid you can also twist the hair back but I really suggest learning to french braid. Here is a good tutorial for a couple different ways.

Day 3- "Sock" bun.
This is the best idea since sliced bread in my opinion. I mean come on, it's nice looking lazy hair! You can wear this messy or nice and clean but if you have oily hair I recommend doing your bun sleek and smooth. It will help hide the oil and its just easier to manage. What I do is spray my hair with a little water on the sides and front where my hair may still be a little crimpy from being braided the day before. The water will loosen it up and I can comb everything smooth into a high ponytail and start my bun. This is the process I use to do mine without the hair donut but feel free to use one if its easier for you. I use hairspray to help keep all of the fly aways down and keep in the bun in place.

Day 4- Wash and start again if I can get enough time to wash my hair or I re-do the bun again.


Here are some products that I have found really help me pick up the pace with my haircare.

Paul Mitchell Smoothing Super Skinny Serum
This is wonderful for all of the lovely little fly aways that come with postpartum hair loss. Its smells AMAZING and just helps keep everything smooth without looking greasy.

Not Your Mother's Smooth Moves Frizz Control Cream
This is nice for when you first get out of the shower. I just towel dry and rub some of this through my hair and it air dries smoother.

Big Sexy Hair Powder Play Volumizing and Texturizing Powder
I use this stuff almost everyday! It gives your hair that little boost it needs to look like you have effortless, fabulous, full locks. I especially love to use it with a dry shampoo.

Salon Grafix Invisible Dry Shampoo
I am not too picky about what dry shampoo I use. I like this one, it doesn't turn my hair white and it works! Nothing to complain about.

Tresemme Tres Two Extra Hold Hairspray
I like this hairspray for everyday use because it doesn't give that crunchy feeling so I can wear my hair down the next day and it doesn't feel gross. It holds well and doesn't dull the shine in my hair.





-Mel

      No comments:

      Post a Comment